When you have lost a loved one, it’s very normal to go through a grieving process while coping with their death. When the death of your loved one happens as a result of the actions or negligence of another party, there is a different type of emotional stress to deal with. Under Louisiana law, if an individual’s death is caused by another party, a surviving family member has the right to take legal action. I have experience helping individuals and families seek justice for the loss of their loved ones, and I can do the same for you.

Monroe, LA Wrongful Death Law

According to Louisiana Civil Code 2315.2, “if a person dies due to the fault of another,” a lawsuit to recover financial damages may be brought to the court by a member of the deceased individual’s family. The family members listed in the state law include:

  • A surviving spouse

  • A surviving child

  • The deceased’s mother or father, if there is no spouse or child

  • The deceased’s brother or sister, if there is no spouse, child, or parent

  • The deceased’s grandmother or grandfather, if there is no spouse, child, parent, or sibling

If a member of your immediate family lost their life in an auto accident in which the other driver was at fault, or if your loved one died in a workplace accident, you may have grounds to sue the responsible party for compensatory damages. I have years of experience guiding individuals and families through this stressful time and providing clear legal direction as they make their decision to file a wrongful death claim. When you choose me to represent you as your attorney, you will not only receive sound legal counsel but a compassionate advocate for you and your family.



Understanding Your Legal Options

When considering your options for filing a wrongful death lawsuit against an individual or an organization, there are different factors to keep in mind. According to Louisiana state law, there is a window of one year allowed for a surviving family member to file a wrongful death claim. This window of time begins on the date of the decedent’s death.

As a part of the wrongful death claim, the plaintiff may seek financial compensation for both economic and non-economic damages. These classifications of damages are defined as follows:

  • Economic Damages - Lost wages, medical bills, funeral costs, etc.

  • Non-Economic Damages - Pain, suffering, loss of emotional support, etc.

As an experienced wrongful death attorney, I will be able to review the details of your loved one’s death, explain the legal options available to you, and lead you through the process of your claim step by step. You are already in the midst of a difficult time due to the death of a family member. Adding financial complications arising from their death will only increase your burden. I can help you pursue compensation to help offset these financial concerns.

Why You Need a Local Wrongful Death Lawyer

It is important that you do not attempt to deal with the party responsible for your family member’s untimely death without the assistance of a professional wrongful death attorney to lead the way. Your life has been turned upside down, and you may be left with outstanding medical costs, funeral or burial bills, and other stressful financial considerations resulting from the death of your loved one. You owe it to your lost loved one, to your family, and to yourself to utilize the knowledge and insight of a wrongful death attorney to put together an effective claim that will put you in a strong position to pursue a favorable outcome. With my understanding of wrongful death cases here in the Monroe, West Monroe, and Ruston, Louisiana area, you can be confident that your case will receive the attention and care it requires.


If your family member was killed due to the actions or negligence of someone else, you may be entitled to financial compensation. Monroe, Louisiana-based wrongful death attorney John Bruscato can help you seek justice for your loved one. John has the experience necessary to guide you through the legal process during this difficult time. Contact Bruscato Law for a consultation.